Social Complementarity of action by the different parts of a sustainable lifestyle requires that they should be held together by a central symbol whose significance reinforces each in his understanding of his role within the action of the whole.
1. Only a fundamental sincerity provides the basic cohesive power through which appropriate sustainable lifestyle relationships can be formed. (Resulting in: Initial difficulty).
2. To avoid losing the dignity and intrinsic clarity of its relationships, the sustainable lifestyle should persevere in the appropriate response to any summons to action. (Resulting in: Persistence).
3. The sustainable lifestyle should avoid engendering relationships based on false intimacy - formed when differences of habit are underestimated - which subsequently prevents the formation of more genuine and appropriate bonds. (Resulting in: Obstruction).
4. When the sustainable lifestyle relationships with the central rallying point are well established, they should be acknowledged openly. (Resulting in: Congregation).
5. The cultivated quality of the central symbol recognized within the sustainable lifestyle should be such as to engender the voluntary dependence of those who hold to it, leaving others free to go their own way. (Resulting in: Receptivity).
6. Coherence within a sustainable lifestyle calls for right timing which if miscalculated through hesitancy may be a cause for regret. (Resulting in: Recognition).
Transformation sequence Solidarity ensures a subtle restraint. (Resulting in: Subtle restraint).
Earlier version in 2nd edition of Encyclopedia of World Problems and Human Potential (1986).
For further updates on this site, subscribe here